How to Create a Marketing List and Add Users to the List [Next Gen] Follow
All good marketing experts know the first question when starting a marketing campaign is, "Who is your target audience?" A marketing list allows you to establish who you will be contacted with your campaign. The beauty of creating a marketing list is that you can determine who you would like to contact in one list and continue to email all the members of that List for future campaigns. You can use marketing lists to segment your book of business into buyers and sellers.
Lists are static assets that will require you to add users to a list following the directions below manually. If you need to add users to a Marketing List through automated actions, you should look at our Smart Lists.
Building and using Lists happens in two phases: Creating the List, and Adding Users to the List.
Phase 1: Creating a Marketing List
1. Go to Email Marketing > Lists
2. Click on List in the upper right-hand corner
3. Click on the Create button in the top right-hand corner to create a new list.
3. Name the List and add a description to help you remember what this List is. While a description is optional, we recommend using this to help you keep track of who was added to the List, what it was used for, and other notes so you can easily determine in the future whether you can re-use that List for another marketing campaign.
4. Broker/Admin Only: If you are a broker or admin, you will have to choose whether this List is classified as Company, Personal, or Broker/Admin Only. Selecting one of these options will define who in your CRM will have access to this List. By default, any List created by an Agent will automatically be categorized as "Personal."
- Company List: This is intended for all users. Agents can see these lists and also add their leads to them. This is a great way to leverage your team to build lists for marketing campaigns such as company newsletters.
- Personal List: These is intended for individual agents or users. Admins and brokers should select this if you're building a list on behalf of one of your agents.
- Broker/Admin Only: This is intended for broker/admins only. This List will be hidden from the agents and can only contain a Broker's leads.
- Note: Lists can now be made available to all agents to email. See this help article for full details.
5. Choose whether you'd like to create a Smart List. A Smart List allows you to automate the segmenting of your Leads. Smart Lists leverage our lead search functionality to create and maintain marketing lists based on Lead Criteria automatically. Once you create a Smart List, it will apply to all current and future Leads that sign up on your site and match that search criterion.
6. Click the Create button at the top right.
Phase 2: Adding Users to Your List
Now that the List has been created, you will need to add leads to it. This can be done in several ways:
- Individually via the List screen
- Independently from the Lead Record
- Bulk adding leads from a Leads List screen, such as My Leads, All Leads or Unassigned Leads
- Bulk adding leads via an Import
- Using Smart Lists to automate adding users to a list
Option 1: Adding Users Individually via the List screen
- Click on the List's name in Marketing > Lists
- Use "Add a Contact" to search for a lead's name and select them from the type ahead
- Click the Add Button.
Option 2: Adding Users Individually from the Contact record
- Go to Contacts
- Search for a contact by name in the Search Bar
- Click on the checkbox to the left of the Contact's name.
- Click on More Actions on the top right.
- Select "Add to List" from the top dropdown and the specific List from the bottom dropdown.
- Click Update
Option 3: Bulk adding leads from a Leads list screen
- Go to Contact > My Leads.
- Please note: Agents can bulk add only their contacts. Brokers and Admins can bulk add Contacts all Contacts (Assigned and Unassigned to anyone in the Org.)
- Select all the leads that you wish to add to the List by either checking the box to the left of their name or checking the box to the left of "Name" to select all Contacts
- Once you have selected all leads, Click on More Actions on the top right. Then, Select "Add to List" from the top dropdown and the specific List from the bottom dropdown. Click Update when done.
Option 4: Bulk Adding Leads to a List via a Bulk Import
- Go to Contacts > Create > Bulk Import
- Click the Import new contacts button
- Download the.CSV template from this screen
- Follow the directions in the template explicitly. You will need to open and edit the CSV in a program such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel.
- When the template is completed return to your browser window
- On the "Add to Marketing" list dropdown, choose a New List or Existing List.
- Choosing New List will allow you to create a brand new List populated with the leads you are imported.
- Select the List that you would like the imported leads to be added to.
- Click the choose file link and select your.CSV template
- Click the "Import Contacts" button
Q: Can I use this List in more than one campaign?
A: Yes, this Marketing List can be used multiple times, but it is best practice not to overdo emails and risk upsetting customers.
Q: Can I add more contacts to this List later?
A: Yes, open the List to modify and select add.
Q: Why can't my Admin or Broker see my list?
A: When created, lists can be marked as private. This means other Agents, Brokers, and Admins will not be able to see your list.
Q: I marked my list private, how can I change this?
A: Once a list is made private, it is always going to be that way. You will need to correct this by making a new list and ensuring that it is not marked private.
How does this differ for agents?
Admin, Broker, and Agent level users can utilize the Bulk Upload option as well as create a Marketing List. Agents can create their marketing campaigns. Admin and Broker level users can create Marketing Lists for themselves and Agent level users.